Animal Kingdom…. The home of Camp Minnie Mickey – oops – no!? The amazing home of the Beastly Kingdom!!?? nope. Well, we get the land of Pandora. Finally, after months of anticipation, it opens with 2 new attractions, 2 dining locations, shops, and floating mountains. (Well the mountains are cool).
- There are a couple of cool new ideas here in Pandora. I am mostly looking to see the unique terrain, the floating mountains, and how it all is put together. Just the idea of the bioluminescence, and how that will be used has me looking forward to seeing this at night.
- Of the 2 attractions, I am most interested in the Navi River Journey. While the Banshee attraction sounds cool, I’m really not getting the attraction car concept, (it just looks uncomfortable) and I am looking forward to something special as you cruise the rivers. Just like Sinbad in Tokyo Disney Sea, I am expecting just as big things coming from this water adventure.
- Pongu Pongu will serve drinks in a spot said to be “as eclectic as its Expat owner.” To me, this calls out to the great amusement drinking establishments – Trader Sams or The Adventurer’s Club. If we get that, it will be a tough ticket to get into, and too many sights to see in one visit.
Amanda, what say you?
Amanda here: I’m pretty skeptical about Pandora, mostly because I haven’t even seen the movie and I’m not sure it belongs at Disney. On the other hand, I’m always happy for more attractions and I’m hoping that the theming is amazing.
- I love thrill rides so I’m hoping that Flight of Passage lives up to the hype. The idea of having a bird’s eye view of Pandora seems incredible. Some of the pre-release press describes this as being similar to Soarin’ which is a favorite of mine!
- Jock Lindsey’s is one of my favorite bars…anywhere. Another well-themed bar inside a theme park? I’m there! If Pongu Pongu follows the model of Jock Lindsey’s and/or Trader Sam’s, it’ll definitely be on my list of places to visit.
- More stuff to do at Animal Kingdom….. While Animal Kingdom has a few things that I love – Expedition Everest, Safari, great shows – it has always felt like a half-day park to me. As my kids are getting older and ready for longer days of touring, I’m really looking forward to a new land to explore. I have faith that, even if Avatar isn’t the concept I would have chosen, the Disney Imagineers will make something really unique and special here.
Special Guest Helen Dunn, How about you?
- It’s new! I haven’t seen the movie so all I knew before watching the preview clip with Joe Rhode was that the people were blue. The video looks like it will be amazing and I can’t wait to see it all.
- Avatar: Flight of Passage. I have no idea what a banshee is but I was totally obsessed with the book series the Dragon Riders of Pern when I was a kid and this looks like I’m going to get to fly on a dragon and I am totally in for that!
- Bioluminescent forest. One of my favorite things in any of the parks is watching how they transform from day to night and this sounds like it will be like that times a million.
Helen (@hmonkeyruns) has been vacationing at WDW since 1978 and has been on nearly every ride in every park at least once. New goal: riding Aladdin’s Magic carpets and TriceraTop Spin to make it EVERY ride in every park.
Ok .. now it’s your chance …
- Who was right?
- Who was wrong?
- What is your favorite?